Friday, June 26, 2015

Seven Writing Links -- Volume 82

It's been an up and down week of writing for me.  I'm stuck on another chapter.  Again.  Although it's mostly finished, getting that last 10 - 20% right has been a real challenge.  I don't expect perfection, but there are some structural problems I can't quite seem to wrap my head around.  I'm soooo ready to move on to the next chapter.  And the fact that we're almost halfway through the year isn't helping either.  I expected to be farther along in my story than this.

Oh well, at least I have plenty of material for my next IWSG post.

So what's the "up" part of the week?  I happened to look back at an earlier chapter and discovered it was a whole lot better than I remembered.

Enjoy the links!

ChemistKen


How to Choose the Right WordPress Theme for You

My Pitch Don’ts for the Fledgling Conference Goer

New Modifications on Amazon to Look Out For

The New World of Publishing: The Real Price of Traditional Publishing

Writers: Ignore This Writing Advice. If You Want.

4 Book Categories that may Suffer under Restructured KU

How Losing Your Purse Can Improve Your Writing

4 comments:

  1. Always nice to look back and realize something doesn't suck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that doesn't happen to me too often, so I celebrate when it does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Useful 'Pitch Don'ts'. Talking to an agent and pitching your book sounds easy, but never is. That's a helpful article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For your chapter:
    1. Try going backward a bit and see if changing something in the previous pages gives you a new way to approach the end of that chapter.
    2. Consider a whole different angle. Do you have the wrong person trying to do something? Can a character you've overlooked provided the impetus for whatever event you're working toward?
    3. Maybe you have too much going on in that chapter and what you wanted to end with actually has to happen in the next chapter. (That happens to me all the time. I have a vision of how I want my chapter to end, and I'm rushing to get there when what I really need to do is let everything unfold in its own time.

    Hope you get that chapter licked soon! Notice I didn't suggest skipping over it and moving on. I can't write out of order. Just can't! :)

    ReplyDelete