Wednesday, November 25, 2015

One Writer's Thanksgiving List

Since tomorrow is Thanksgiving here in the States, I’d like to take a moment to give thanks for everything I’ve been blessed with in both my personal and writing life.

In terms of my personal life, I’m thankful for:

  • My family, 
  • My health,
  • Having found a new job when my previous one dried up back in September, 
  • My friends
  • All the little things that make me happy. 

As far as my writing life, I’m thankful for:

  • My critique partners, who point out the stuff that never would have occurred to me. I’ve learned so much about writing because of their efforts.
  • My online crit groups, who are often the guinea pigs lucky recipients of my terrible first drafts. 
  • An active imagination which keeps supplying me with new ideas for my stories. 
  • All the supportive writers I’ve met online, especially those belonging to Alex Cavanaugh's Insecure Writers Support Group
  • My family (again), who has been incredibly supportive of my writing habit, even if they can’t understand why it takes me so long to finish a story. 
  • And finally, I’m thankful for J.K. Rowling, whose stories started me down this path of writing. She turned me from being someone who hated writing into someone who now wishes he could find even more time to write.

So what are you most thankful for?

ChemistKen


3 comments:

  1. I'm most thankful for my family and having job that can support them, keep them fed, clothed, roof over their heads, and keep the house heated. With so much going on in the world, I'm thankful that we have a place and means to continue living as we do.

    On my writing side, I second your list!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, said, Ken! There is much to be thankful for. I think I'm just grateful for being literate, since only in this era of human history have so many living people been literate all at once. And, the fact that I'm female doesn't even cause anyone to bat an eyelash. We live in the best of times!

    I probably say this because I've been reading a fascinating history book about the Roman Republic and history books just put everything into perspective. To think women weren't allowed to attend public sporting events or even act on the stage just goes to show there were a lot of people who lived before us that never stood a chance at doing what I take for granted every day. What a time to be alive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thankful for my critique group too. Especially the guys who prod me to write when I think the well has dried up. Happy Thanksgiving, Ken.

    ReplyDelete