Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday Links -- Volume 22

It's been a strange week here in Michigan.  We're finally beginning to see grass in our yards as the glaciers recede, although there's no sign of chlorophyll yet.  We're also in the process of mapping out all the potholes that have blossomed  like mushrooms in the roads around our house.

On the writing front, I made a major decision this week.  For almost a year, I've been working on a MG fantasy, complete with castles and magic, but progress has been excruciatingly slow and I've come to the realization I need a better handle on the story before I spend any more time on it.  So I'm going to let it stew on the backburner while I move on to another story that's been begging to be written for the last several months.  The MC will be older (college age), but there'll still be plenty of paranormal stuff going on, as well as a mystery for her to solve.  And probably a castle or two.  And of course, there'll be humor.  I wouldn't be able to write a story without it.  Wish me luck.

Anyway, here are this week's writing links.  Have a great weekend!


Put Up Your Dukes: Writing a Fight Scene

Double Dipping Tension

Creating Conflict with a Purpose

Finding Your Perfect Editor and Editing Level

Groundhog Day: Full Story Structure Breakdown

Stephen Leigh, on Seven Strategies for Characterization, part I

When The Old Ways Work (Discoverability Part 13)

Killing the Top Ten Sacred Cows of Indie Publishing: #1… Can’t Get Indie Books into Bookstores

2 comments:

  1. I love stories with castles! I'm so happy this is your forte. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes setting it aside and working on something else for a while is the best thing you can do. Good luck with both WIPs. And thanks for the links. :)

    ReplyDelete