Saturday, November 3, 2012

Why Did I Ever Sign Up For NaNoWriMo?

It’s becoming a pattern. I wake up in the morning, ready to start another day, then cringe and hide my head under the pillow when I remember I have to write another 1666.66 words for NaNoWriMo. Arggg!

One of the tricks to succeeding at NaNoWriMo is to find ways to motivate yourself for the task of sitting down in front of the computer (or notebook) every day. And for me, that means setting up the proper atmosphere. I do most of my writing in my basement office, so I've decorated that room to look much as I would expect a potions master's office to appear.

Hey, what do you expect? I'm a chemist.

My desk and bookshelves are filled with books on alchemy, along with flasks, beakers, and bottles with brightly colored liquids and powders. Lighted candles help create the necessary ambiance for writing stories about magic and castles and such things. (To be honest, the candles also serve a more practical purpose. Since I haven't gotten around to replacing the fluorescent lights in the ceiling yet, my only other source of illumination is the computer screen.)

So far, my office has done its part to keep me motivated. But we're only three days into November and I have a loooong way to go, so wish me luck.

BTW, if any of you entered NaNoWriMo, be sure to buddy me. My username is ChemistKen.

2 comments:

  1. What? You describe your office and don't add a picture? It's not luck you need, it's a writing seed. Use one of your potions to water it and watch it grow while you write. Okay, you need too replace the fluorescent light too.

    ReplyDelete