Monday, March 19, 2012

The Best Time to Write?

It’s weekends like this that make me happy when Monday rolls around. After two birthday parties for my son, attending a two hour Tae Kwon Do class to watch my daughter test for her green belt, and running the local Robofest computer club meeting (the big competition is next week!), going to work today seems like a breeze. And this doesn’t include the two chapters I critiqued for my CPs or the many hours I spent attempting to solve a major problem with my own manuscript. Not bad for a weekend.

I learned one thing this weekend. The part of my brain I depend on for writing works best during the morning and early afternoon. After staying up till 1:30 on Friday trying to fix my second chapter – with little success – I woke up the next morning and promptly solved the problem in less than thirty minutes while vacuuming the house in preparation for the first of the birthday parties. I suppose it could have been the act of pushing the vacuum around that set my creative juices flowing, but I doubt it. I always do my best writing during the early part of the day.

Too bad that all my free time comes at night.

So when do you guys do your best work?

3 comments:

  1. I think better at night, but I find lately I'm getting tired earlier, it's tough to find a happy medium!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why, but I always am more productive at night. My brain seems to turn on right when I'm wanting to go to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could write well at night. It's usually the only time I'm free. But being creative when all you can think about is your nice warm bed is hard. I'm hoping that things get better in the nice, warm summer.

    ReplyDelete