Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Losing Track of the Internet

I follow a lot of writing blogs. A LOT of them. They’re still some of the best sources of information about writing and publishing that I know. But because I follow so many, I don’t notice when I stop receiving updates about new posts.

Just this week, it dawned on me that my inbox didn’t contain any updates from Elizabeth Spann Craig’s website (Home of the awesome Twitterific Writing Links that puts my Friday Writing Links to shame. It’s a fantastic resource for all writers and I highly recommend it.) In fact, I realized I hadn’t received any notifications from her blog since the first week in January. (Arg! Think of all the links I’ve missed!) I dashed over to her website and attempted to re-sign up for email notifications, but the automated system admin responded that I was already receiving her email notifications, thank you very much.

The thing is, this seems to happen to me every six months or so. I’ll suddenly realize that I’m no longer receiving notifications to several of my favorite websites and I’ll have to go back and re-sign up again (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t). I don’t know why this keeps happening, but since I’m an acknowledged hoarder of links, just knowing I’m missing out on posts makes my stomach hurt.

I suppose I could solve this problem by becoming organized and simply visiting these blogs via a weekly schedule instead of depending upon reminder emails, but experience has taught me that’s not going to work long term. I don’t do well with regular schedules; my habits tend toward the chaotic. I focus on whichever wheel is squeaking loudest at the moment, and these email notifications are my squeakers. 

So, does being dropped off subscription lists happen to you guys too, or do I have bad karma?

ChemistKen


13 comments:

  1. I've only just started joining subscription lists the last few months and so far no being dropped off them. I'm not sure how that happens haha They aren't really helping me in keeping track though as I'm 80% out of it all the time anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have very few email subscriptions. I use Bloglovin' and cruise down my sidebar every Wednesday to find the latest from the blogs I like. I don't always get to visit everyone because of time, but I know emails get lost in my inbox. Plus I have 6 different email accounts. :)

    Best of luck with your list management!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder sometimes if my notifications end up in my spam box, but I know that's not always the case. I've seen the same thing too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use Feedly rather than signing up for notifications and even then it will dump a feed every couple months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Alex, I use Feedly. Most of the time it seems to work great but I have noticed feeds will sometimes get lost. That has happened a few times and I've assumed the blogger has stopped posting, then realized I just wasn't getting their posts anymore. It seems no system works perfectly and it can be frustrating and/or overwhelming trying to keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get dropped now and then, and I'm thinking that I need to sign up for Feedly . . . but my blogging life is so chaotic that I'm not sure what that would look like either.
    Love your honesty and great sense of humor, Ken!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Usually, when that happens, it means the weekly log has been sent to my junk mail. And once it starts going there, I have to do the right-click "this isn't junk mail" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, this happens to me too. Blogger did a little cleaning recently and people were wondering why they were losing subscribers. Hope you're having a good week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use Feedly to follow blogs.

    It took one labor intensive Saturday to add all my blogs to Feedly, but since then it's been great to use. Easy to add blogs or let them go (one at a time!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have about 5 or 6 blogs I get emails about, and I did recently realize I hadn't recieved anything for one in many months. Then a few days later, I got something. It was as though the blogger sensed that missed her blog. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pooh! Ken, I'm sorry to hear this. I'll check it out.

    I use Feedly to keep up with blogs (and I divide blogs into folders of priority).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use Feedly, too! It just helps with managing many blogs you want to follow. That way you don't get dropped from an email list and you don't have emails clogging up your inbox for the blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I use Feedly, too. I think there's only one blog I've subscribed to by email.

    ReplyDelete