Wednesday, July 3, 2019

The Insecure Writer and Approaching the Publishing Threshold


Today is July's contribution to Alex Cavanaugh's Insecure Writers Support Group.

Why am I an Insecure Writer this month?

Because I’m approaching the point where I'll be transitioning from a wannabe writer to a published writer who needs to worry about all the many facets of marketing.

For years, I’ve contemplated all the things I’d have to do if I ever got around to finishing a book. Things like setting up an author website, learning to format ebooks, newsletters, street teams, Amazon keywords, email lists, finding a cover designer, finding an editor, learning how to get reviews, Facebook ads, social media, book trailers, audiobooks... The list goes on and on. Almost makes me think writing the book was the easy part. (Please tell me it's not!)

But the time has come where I can no longer just fantasize about these duties.  I’m three-quarters of the way through my urban fantasy, so the clock is ticking, especially since many of the aforementioned items should be started long before a book comes out. 

It’s not like there aren’t a ton of resources out there to help guide me.  The IWSG website has a section devoted to marketing tips. Our very own Chrys Fey has 100 marketing tips on her site.  This month's IWSG post by Tara Tyler discusses how to get buzz for your book.

Now I just have to get around to implementing all this advice without going crazy. 

-----------------------------------------------------

This month's question is:  What personal traits have you written into your character(s)?

I usually give my main characters a sense of inferiority, often plucked from somewhere out of my own past. My characters worry that people will think they're too young or inexperienced, or that their skills aren't good enough for them to do what they need to do to win in the end. The kinds of things that used to bother me. Like the experts always say, write what you know!

Have a Happy Fourth of July! 


ChemistKen



23 comments:

  1. Marketing is definitely scary! I try not to think about it at this point (although I probably should).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marketing can be overwhelming. It's a big insecurity for me too that makes me wonder if I'll cross the threshold like you. But it's good start early like you're planning so you're organized when you release your book. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't tell you it's the easy part then...
    Tons of resources at the site, plus other authors you can ask - and a publisher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just remember to take it slow. You don't have to do everything at once. Start with one or two things and move on from there. And you definitely don't have to do everything or be everywhere. Only do what you feel is right for you.

    Thank you for the shout-out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Usually my character struggle with some measure of insecurity like I do, but I currently have a pretty confidant character who is only lacking confidence in his place in his world - he is at a crossroads.
    I agree with Chrys - take the marketing slow. Make a list of things, prioritize the ones you want to do first (as in the ones your most comfortable with), and then tackle one at a time. Focusing on one or two platforms is better than going wild with them (I tried that and have some regrets). And, it's okay if you make mistakes. Just keep on plugging away at it. I discovered that I like twitter and Instagram more than Facebook after nine years (I'm a slow learner).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inferiority, eh? Sounds like we have opposite problems. :)

    I have no marketing advice. From the sounds of it, you're better prepared for your big day than I was for mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pick up a copy of John Kremer's 1001 Ways to Market Your Book. The most valuable thing in it is a timeline that shows you what you should be doing when.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky you're part of this group. So much experience and advice for anyone that needs it. Congrats on getting this far. No doubt you'll do great with the rest. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting for you. Don't stress so much about marketing that you don't enjoy the accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are so many people out there who are willing to help those of us newbies who are just starting along the road. I hope everything goes well for you!
    That sense of inferiority can be so debilitating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually, you've nailed it, Ken. Writing the book is the easiest part of this process.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate to break it to you, but writing is the easy part. ^^;;

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know it's nerve-wracking but still so happy for you that you are nearing the end of your book! Try not to stress too much about the marketing although I sure know that is easier said than done. There are so many helpful resources even just through this group. Good luck!
    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Working on the marketing aspect here too and learning. Happy IWSG!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an exciting time for you, ChemistKen! None of us knows what we're doing when it comes to marketing, so maybe you can view it more like a curious chemistry experiment, seeing which combination of strategies yields better sales. But regardless of sales, it's such a THRILL to publish your work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's not harder to market but different. A break. Some of it is hard--maybe a lot--but so is writing. Congrats on moving your book along so well! This full-time writing gig works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marketing is one of my favorite parts of the process (not that I know everything there is to know...I just enjoy it). If I wasn't a writer, I'd likely be working in marketing in some way or another. If you have any questions about any part of the process, feel free to email me. I'll help if I can: reneescatts@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Part of what intimidates me about marketing is just how much advice is out there. There's so much to sift through! I'll have to check out those IWSG-related articles and see what I can glean from them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know if writing the books is the *easy* part, but it's definitely the fun part. I think about 99% of my insecurities center around marketing. I have zero clue about all that stuff, and just blunder about in the land of social media and hope someone buys a book, and I maybe have some fun on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So far, finishing the book is the hardest part for me. I really hope all the other stuff is somewhat easier.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good for you, Ken, thinking ahead. Publishing a book is only half the story. Promoting the heck out of it isn't easy. I have to go back and reread those links you posted. Then get back to my WIP.

    You and anyone else in the IWSG world who needs a place to promote, let me know. I'm always happy to host. dmburton72@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Marketing is definitely a challenge. I say this as someone who went to school for marketing. Challenging, but totally doable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks for the shout out and congrats on your progress!
    i suggest you get a calendar and set some goals on it— author website, cover design, ask for reviewers, etc then it can be as space out as you like! good luck and make sure you let me know if i can help!

    Tara Tyler Talks

    ReplyDelete