Friday, June 13, 2014

Friday Links -- Volume 34

Nothing much going on this week.  I presented a chapter to my local crit group last night and they were mostly underwhelmed.  The problem?  Stilted dialogue.  Oh well, back to the computer for more revisions.

Have a great weekend!
ChemistKen


This week's links:

Why I rejected my publisher

Story Midpoint & Mirror Moment: Using Heroes’ Emotions To Transform Them

Plot and Subplots in a Series of Scenes

A Trick for Keeping Your Plot (and Story) on Target

Frogs, Hot Water, and the Seven Deadly Sins: Making Trouble for Characters

Expand Our Senses and Improve Our Descriptions

Do you actually need that romance?

9 comments:

  1. Probably need that one on subplots now as I'm adding several to my current manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dialogue is one of the more difficult things to get right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that "Why I rejected my publisher" link… all great stuff here, Ken. It's so nice to have great posts compiled here. Thanks. :)

    (And also thank you for your kind words on my blog--they mean a lot) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have complete faith in you. You'll figure it out. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  5. You wrote stilted dialog? Better listen to some teen conversations when they don't know you're listening. Lots of fragments, right? If it's boys, there'll likely be stuff you can't write in a book meant for them.

    I resisted the urge to read about rejecting a publisher in favor of the tricks for keeping on target. Goal. Obstacle. Reveal. Hand off. I had to go back and look after the first because the terminology is different than mine. Then I got sidetracked by David Farland, found out he's David Wolverton, and now I want to read his fantasies I never did after I bought the Runelord series. Nightingale sounds interesting and very different with the enhanced version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, dialogue. I love it so much, I only I could just write dialogue and nothing else. It's all the other stuff you have to write in fiction that I struggle with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read the dialogue out loud. Maybe get a friend to help. Then you'll hear what doesn't work and be able to try new words and lines on the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dialogue is tough! Good luck on your edits. And as always, thanks for the awesome links!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great links! And I agree with Diane. Reading the dialogue out loud can help.

    ReplyDelete