Thursday, April 18, 2013

Sharing is Caring: The Liebster Award



Thanks to Cherie Colyer for nominating me for the Liebster award.  I'm honored!  But with great honor comes great responsibility, so here we go...

First, eleven things about me:

1. I have to wear SPF 100 or I'll burn in no time.
2. I’m a research chemist by day and part-time writer by night.
3. I love magic, old castles, and Britain. I especially love magic when it occurs within old castles in Britain.
4. I rarely watch television in real time, preferring to DVR them.
5. My memory for names and faces is abysmal. Rarely can I make it through a movie without having to ask my wife who’s who at least once.
6. Autumn is my favorite time of year. Hands down.
7. I’m the one responsible for getting my kids hooked on video games.
8. I would love to retire in Britain someday. The castles and history alone would make it worthwhile.
9. I've visited every state in the continental United States except for two.  Unfortunately, I don't remember which two they are.
10, Our family is about to get a new cat.
11. My longest run ever (I used to jog) was 9 miles.


Now my answers to the eleven questions posed by Cherie

1. What do you like best about blogging?  Meeting other writers
2. Mountains or ocean? Ocean, especially odd since I don’t swim.
3. Favorite authors? Clarke, Asimov, Sanderson
4. Are you an outliner or a panster? Outliner, although as soon as I begin writing, I keep coming up with ideas that require constant changes to the outline. Guess I’m a plotser.
5. Where do you find your inspiration? Movies and books.
6. What fictional world would you like to visit? The Harry Potter world, of course.
7. KFC or Popeye’s? KFC, Never tried Popeye’s
8. Are there any books you won’t read? Boring ones. Also books with too much showing.
9. Name three people (living or dead) you’d like to meet? Linus Pauling, J.K. Rowling,
10. Do you have any advice for fellow bloggers? Post on a regular schedule – unlike me – but don’t let it interfere with your writing.
11. Is this your first Liebster award? No 


Here are the bloggers I would liked to nominate for this award.



Your new questions:
1. How long have you been blogging?
2. How many people in your family?
3. What was your favorite book?
4. Harry Potter or Twilight?
5. Where do you find your inspiration?
6. What fictional world would you like to visit?
7. Hanburger or cheeseburger
8. Cat or dog?
9. Do you believe in magic?
10. What advice would you give new writers?
11. Is this your first Liebster award?

The Liebster Rules:
1. The Liebster Award is given to bloggers by bloggers.
2. Each blogger should post 11 facts about himself / herself.
3. Each blogger should answer the 11 questions that are asked by the nominating blogger.
4. Choose 11 new bloggers to nominate for the Award and link to them in the post.
5. Create 11 new questions for your nominees.
6. Go back to their pages and tell them they've been nominated.
7. No tag backs


If you'd like to participate, feel free to snag the questions and begin your own round of the Liebster Awards!


18 comments:

  1. I'm with you on magic, castles, autumn, and boring books! It's been great learning more about you, and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice words, Cherie. I'll try to keep subsequent posts interesting.

      Delete
  2. What? Rowling isn't on your favorite's list? As much as our tastes in books coincide, you might not believe I haven't heard of Sanderson. So if/when you bring your family to Florida, let us show you our beautiful white sand beaches. Hubby goes there metal detecting a couple times a week and I haven't been for ages.

    Thanks for the award. It made me smile. But I decided to have an awards free blog last summer when I shifted to book blogging. There aren't enough hours in the day to read and review books and write and edit and still read blogs. Yours is the exception. I wish I knew Hermione's time travel trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Rowling might have been too obvious.:)

      To be honest, I hadn't heard of Sanderson for a while myself until I read Alloy of Law. Great book.

      Delete
  3. Some of your answers in the first section would be mine! Autumn is my favorite and I rarely watch shows when they are actually on. (Either DVR, NetFlix, Hulu, or other Internet site the next day when it fits into my schedule.)
    And they make SPF100? Where can I get that wonderful product?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, Autumn only lasts about two weeks here in Michigan.

      Delete
  4. Ηi, i think that і saw you visited mу ѕite so i camе to “return the fаvor”.

    I am tгying tο find things to еnhance my ωeb site!
    I suрρose its οk tο use somе of your іdеas!
    !

    Also ѵisit my blog ρost: Dwdstudios.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for thinking of me!

    I have dreams of retiring to Ireland, someday when I'm a world famous best selling author. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to retire somewhere in Britain. Unfortunately my retirement funds and my wife's desire to go some place like Arizona will probably preclude that from happening.

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for thinking of me for this

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Ken, thank you so much for the nomination! I bet you write about magic that happens in English castles, am I right? Best to you and thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One hundred percent correct about the magic and English castles guess.

      Delete
  8. Thank you! But I have to ask "books with too much showing" why??? As opposed to books with too much telling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books that try to do everything by showing tend to be real slogs to read. And I know I'm not the only one to think so. A nice mix of showing and telling will keep the story moving at a proper pace.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on your award, Ken, and thanks for nominating me! I'm with you on the Castles--I'd love to spend a couple of weeks trotting around as many as I could find! That ranks number one on my bucket list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing better than castles, although I understand living in some of the draftier ones can be a bit miserable.

      Delete