Wednesday, March 2, 2022

The Insecure Writer and Entering the Publishing Phase

 


Today is March's contribution to Alex Cavanaugh's Insecure Writers Support Group.

Why am I an insecure writer this month?

Because I’m just about finished with the edits suggested by my editor.

Now that may seem like a strange reason to be insecure, but with that hurdle almost cleared, I’m nearly done with the writing phase of this journey and about to move into the publishing phase. 

(Shudders)

Before I can publish, I need to find a cover designer, a proofreader, and either find an formatter (both ebook and paperback) or learn how to do it myself. 

I have to decide if I want to stick with Amazon exclusively or go wide with all the major retailers. 

I need to write the back matter content, sign up for accounts at all the retailers, and decide if I should go through each store separately, or go through a distributor such as Smashwords.

These little details probably don’t seem a big deal to those of you who have published multiple books, but right now, it seems as if there’s just as much to learn about the actual publishing process as there was for the writing part of it. I’ve been scanning publishing blogs for tips and tricks on the subject, and it seems there are traps and pitfalls everywhere. I'm quickly learning that I don't know what I don't know.

I know I can go back and fix any mistakes later, but I’d rather just do it right the first time, especially for my debut book.

What kinds of problems did you have when you published your first book?

March 2 question - Have you ever been conflicted about writing a story or adding a scene to a story? How did you decide to write it or not? 

The only conflict I've had in this regard was deciding whether or not my story needed an additional scene to tie up loose ends, and if that scene was strong enough to stand on its own. Nothing worse than an unnecessary, bloated scene bogging down a story.


Take care everyone, and stay safe! 

ChemistKen


19 comments:

  1. You're getting closer! Just ask around - we have a lot of great cover designers and formatters in the group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on taking this huge step into your publishing journey! It is a lot to consider but there are tons of resources out there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what I don't know. Why is this statement so true?! Keep reading up on it. I'm sure you'll work a lot of those details out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally understand your insecurity. I was freaking out in December as I started writing my climax scenes. That means the first draft is almost done and just needs to be revised before I decide whether to try to get it published. I've calmed down and am just taking it day by day now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't get so full of options you don't know what to do. Want a book recommendation?

    ReplyDelete
  6. At some point you just need to hit "publish" and give it a try. You will probably make some mistakes the first time, everyone does, but you will also learn a lot to make the process easier and less scary the next time. And like you said, you can always change and fix things after the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whee!!! So exciting!
    I'm a wide author and very happy with wide. I'd suggest a couple of things to start if you go wide. Set up accounts with each retailer well in advance. Some take a long time to approve new accounts. The FB group Wide For The Win is amazing. Their Tree of Wisdom contains answers for so many questions and the group is super helpful. The book Wide For The Win by Mark Leslie Lefebvre is also helpful. Always feel free to ask me anything along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting! I have to admit, one of the reasons I hope to be traditionally published is to avoid having to learn how to do all the stuff that's necessary for self-publishing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! I highly recommend visiting Chrys Fey's blog for publishing tips and advice. Sending creative vibes your way. Happy IWSG Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds to me that you're right on track. You can do this!

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, that's entirely fair to be insecure about! It really is a LOT, and it's overwhelming. Like other commenters have said, just taking it a step at a time in manageable chunks is what worked for me. I wish you all the luck and good decisions as you move forward!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As you say, you're over the first hurdle, and good luck with reaching the next stage many times. Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got lucky and had few problems publishing my debut, but it was a LOT of work. I was lucky I had writer friends and the blogging world to learn from before I took that leap.

    I'm excited for you! Make a list, think things through before doing them, and then sit back and enjoy what all you've accomplished. It will be worth it. That I can assure you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. P.S. It's a few years old, but I went back and found this for you.
    http://melissamaygrove.blogspot.com/2015/07/a-self-publishers-to-do-list.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. At least you KNOW you don't know what you don't know...that's key!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Turned out there were a few minor errors in my first book that slipped past both me and my editors. I was terribly upset at the time, but these things happen. And when it's an ebook, it really is easy to fix that stuff.

    That's not to say you shouldn't do everything you can to catch that stuff before you publish! But if something does slip by you, despite your best efforts, it really isn't that big of a deal to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ken, one thing is for sure is that writers need writers. We honestly do. I'm super excited for making it to the top of the rollercoaster looking down at the drop and the rest of the crazy twirls ahead. Aaaah!

    Do you have beta readers? or a writing partner?

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's an exciting time, but one fraught with 'how do I's' you'll get there. If you need a beta reader, give us a shout.

    ReplyDelete