Wednesday, May 5, 2021

The Insecure Writer and Frittering Away My Writing Time

 


Today is May's contribution to Alex Cavanaugh's Insecure Writers Support Group.

What makes me an insecure writer this month?

The worry that I might not have the drive to be a commercially successful writer.

Don’t get me wrong. I like writing. But life keeps you busy, and a writer has to be strong enough to stay productive even when life is happening all around them. Between my tutoring schedule, my wife’s car accident, doing the taxes, and all the other stuff life threw at me lately, I simply haven’t done much in the way of writing. 

It’s not like I haven’t had some time to write. I just haven’t made use of the time I did have available. I read so many stories of writers working full time jobs, taking care of their families, and still pumping out story after story. And here I am, frittering away the spare moments I do have. Heck, it's 11:50 pm and I'm scrambling to finish the day's IWSG post. 

What's going to happen when I have to worry about marketing the book?

Thanks for listening. 


ChemistKen

8 comments:

  1. I also worry that I don't have the drive to be a published author. I'm not sure I can write fast enough and am shy about marketing. So you're not alone in your insecurities. I do think that squeezing in short writing sessions can result in accomplishing a lot, and maybe the work isn't as much as we're worried about if people who work-full time can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's tough all right. I never expected to be a published author in the first place, let alone one with four books and another on the way. You just do the best you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have that drive anymore. I spend all my energies on my authors and their books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right there with you, Ken. I am amazed and daunted by people who can produce book after book so quickly. Mindset and environment plays a huge role in my ability to write. If I'm preoccupied with something, it doesn't how much time I have, I can't just make myself write.

    I wish you luck with your writing and busyness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can definitely relate. I feel like real life just sucks the drive to write out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've had a lot going on. Add the stress of hurt family members and what did you expect. Self-care and healing (and I mean you too) will get you back on track when the time is right.

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way. I feel the same way way too often. But I think those other writers who crank out book after book after book... they must have gone through these struggles, too, before they became successful. So if they could do it, we can too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is tough. You can only do so much in a day. Take care of you and your family and the rest will come.

    ReplyDelete