Wednesday, July 1, 2020

The Insecure Writer and Having Too Much Time For My Own Good



Today is July's contribution to Alex Cavanaugh's Insecure Writers Support Group.

What makes me an Insecure Writer this month?

An utter lack of discipline.

Once again, I totally missed the first Wednesday of the month IWSG blog post. I knew it was coming, even thought about it last weekend. But did I act on this knowledge? Of course not.

There is no excuse. I have more time for writing and writing related things than I’ve ever had before. Especially these last few months when COVID-19 pretty much decimated my chemistry tutoring gig. Back when I held a full-time day job, I had to fight and scramble for every minute of writing time. Not only did I make progress with my story, but I managed to blog once a week and critique other authors’s books. It’s as if now that I have all this time, I can’t focus on my author career.

I’m rapidly coming to the conclusion that I need to start scheduling my activities. I’ve never needed schedules before, but then again, I’ve never had this much time to waste either.

Thank God I didn’t try making this writing thing a full-time career ten years ago. My family would have starved.


Optional July question: There have been many industry changes in the last decade, so what are some changes you would like to see happen in the next decade? 

All I want is software that can read my mind and write my story for me. An electronic ghost writer of sorts. 


Take care everyone, and stay safe! 

ChemistKen


14 comments:

  1. An electronic ghost writer of sorts? Please share when you learn more about this life-changing contraption.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try a schedule and see if it helps.
    You won't miss the next IWSG. You're a co-host!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know for a fact that on days when my to-do list is short, I get little done, but when it's full, I crank through everything. Too much time isn't always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live alone now so should have more time to write even with my part-time writing job. But the days seem to go. I'm trying to schedule in a little time some of the week to work on my manuscript. It is working. Hope scheduling works for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An electronic ghostwriter sounds good to me too. It's a weird thing, but having more time to write does not always lead to more writing. That's probably the #1 lesson I've learned from this COVID thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An electronic ghostwriter . . . that's an image of a muse I won't easily forget! Routine. Schedules. To Do lists. All help. Still, in these days of pandemic, 'wobbly' days arrive when we least expect them. What helps me most then is a sense of humor and community. Thank you for making me smile. Have fun co-hosting next month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This automatic writing software seems popular in various posts. It needs to be something that can get my thoughts in order to avoid word vomit on the page! It does seem to be common that having limited time sharpens the focus. If you don't use that time, it's gone. I hope your schedule helps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They do say busy people get the most done. I believe that! I hope all goes well for your writing career. I eagerly await your first book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Jacqui. I remember my father-in-law, a man I really respected, who once told me, "If you want something done, ask a busy man." (well, he meant that in the most general sense) I'm much more productive when I have deadlines, so I always make sure I have a project that has to be finished by a certain time. If I don't have a project, I create one. e.g. my 4 miles of walking a day by noon. This works for me. Hope you find your way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you find that software let me know, I'll gladly invest:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, love it, electronic ghost. Yes, learning to manage time when you have no one but yourself to answer to is difficult at best. Wishing the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's funny how less free time can actually make you more productive. You know time is limited, so I think you don't waste as much time. I hope a schedule helps!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YES! Software that can read my mind and transfer my stories into digital format like that. I've been wanting that for years! Good luck getting yourself back into a schedule. I need to do that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, I think I would have some pretty nonsensical stuff coming out of a mind-reading contraption. It'd probably have "Derek" repeated over and over again, seeing that I find myself mumbling the name while on my way to work or folding laundry. It'd be like "what kind of cat sat on your mental keyboard?" with all the gobbly gook coming out. :D

    ReplyDelete