Wednesday, March 6, 2019

The Insecure Writer And Finding Time To Write When You're A Full Time Writer


Today is March's contribution to Alex Cavanaugh's Insecure Writers Support Group.

Why am I an Insecure Writer this month?

Because I've been thrust into the position of becoming a full-time writer much sooner than I expected.

Today's post is about four hours late, and that ties in with today's topic. Last month I revealed I had lost my job due to the company's downsizing and that I was about to become a full-time writer--whether I wanted to or not.  From a financial point of view, I think we're going to be fine. We have other sources of income, and I've started offering my services as a chemistry tutor. And to my surprise, it turns out the need for chemistry tutors, both online and in person, is higher than I expected.  We'll have to tighten ours belts a bit, but we'll be okay. 

Unfortunately, this tutoring business is more hectic than I realized. Adding new students, keeping track of my ever-changing schedule, learning the ins and outs of the various online tutoring interfaces, plus helping out more around the house is taking a lot more time than I expected. I postponed my critique group meeting twice because I mistakenly scheduled a tutoring session at the same time.  

I've had a couple of good writing days, but my writing has mostly stalled.  I know that when I adjust to this new life style, I'll once again have time to write, but in the meantime, it's kind of frustrating. Even now I'm hurrying to finish this post because I have a tutoring session coming up in 30 minutes. Sigh, seems like I had more time to write back when I had a full-time job.


This month’s IWSG question is: Whose perspective do you like to write from best, the hero (protagonist) or the villain (antagonist)? And why?

Definitely the hero, because he/she is learning to become a better person as the story goes along, and I enjoy watching that progression.  I've yet to write from the villain's perspective, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

Thanks for stopping by, and be sure to stop by each of this month's co-hosts too:Fundy Blue, Beverly Stowe McClureErika Beebe, and Lisa Buie-Collard! 

ChemistKen



22 comments:

  1. Glad the tutoring thing is gaining speed. It will be an adjustment, but you'll find that balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like tutoring is almost a full-time job in itself (but with wonky hours)! Glad it's working for you, though, and I'm sure you'll get your feet under you and find the right balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I had wondered if you would have time for writing or not. Being home without work is deceptive, and time tends to fill up quickly. I hope things settle down for you and you're able to master your schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on this, Ken. When I transitioned from teaching in a classroom to online (kind of like tutoring), it was a learning curve. And all that writing time I planned took a while to materialize. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That will take a lot of adjusting, but I'm thrilled you've been able to find opportunities for tutoring.
    The writing will be waiting once you've got routines in place for the tutoring - lots of learning curves to tackle for now.
    Wishing you and your family the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic that the tutoring is going well, even if you are busy. Hopefully things will settle and you'll adjust. It might be slower in the summer. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about the job loss Ken but it sounds like you have got a good plan going with the tutoring. I'm sure that once you get into the new routine the writing will follow. Good luck with the new venture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Busy. Busy. It explains the lack of activity on Wattpad. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tutoring can pay well and I'm happy you are finding students. But hey - welcome to my world! I have no set schedule as every day is different. You just have to learn to let the chaos become your balance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad that the tutoring is going well! I think it's always hard to find time to write no matter what your schedule is like. Hopefully you can get back to writing more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you found a way to work and bring in income. I'm sure that must be a big load off your mind. Once you adjust to your new way of working, you should be able to find time for your own writing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This has been a huge shuffle in your routine, so I'm not surprised you're having to work through some kink. However, this is great news. You can have flexible hours, earn some money and continue to write.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gosh, yes, chem tutors are needed! I'd have hired you myself for my daughter last semester. :) So glad it's working out well for you. You'll get into a rhythm with the new schedule before long.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you have resources to take the job loss in stride.

    I use a monthly planner that has a whole month at a glance to schedule my life. Nothing gets scheduled without looking at it. I'd be double-booking all the time if I didn't use one.

    Can you block off certain days or times of day (no tutoring before 2:00 PM, for example) to write?

    Anyhow, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Ken! What I would have given for a good chemistry tutor! I had to take Chem 100 twice ( a full year's course), and for good measure I took its equivalent at another university years later. Then I gave up on chemistry! I'm sorry that you lost your company job, but I'm sure you will have grateful students! Life throws us obstacles, and we just have to work around them. You'll get on top of it all. I'm glad that you have resources you can count on. Best wishes to you and good luck with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is great to hear things are going well. Good luck with all that. I looked into tutoring online but most require a college degree. I have a few credits but never got that far as I tried as a adult working full time and it and shift work just don't go well together when you can't leave unless your relief shows up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad to hear things are working out for you. Working out a flexible schedule has to be hard, but you can do it. Soon, you'll be back writing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember when I moved a few years back, it totally upended everything I was trying to do in my writing life. It was a very frustrating time. But eventually I settled into a new writing routine, and everything was fine. I'm sure the same will happen for you. And in the meantime, I'm really glad to hear you've found some financial security. I was worried for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. When you take up a new job it can be a challenge getting back into your writing routine. I know I had been pretty much writing full-time before I was hired onto my current day job as librarian. When I started working my then new day job, it took me at least a year to get back into a regular writing routine knowing I had limited time with it. It just takes time to adjust to the new situation and learning a new writing schedule as second nature. But it can be done. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Keep your head up. The bumps will smooth out and you'll find a way to balance tutoring and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tutoring is a great idea! Imagine how much easier it's going to be once the learning curve of the interfaces/administration dies down!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm not surprised that there is a need for chemistry tutors. You'll find your grove once your schedule becomes more consistent.

    ReplyDelete