Monday, September 18, 2017

Seven Writing Links - Volume 176

https://pixabay.com/en/users/josemanuelbotana-958941/


Yes!  Fall has arrived. The days are getting shorter, the weather is turning cooler, and as is usual for this time of year, I'm psyched for writing. Autumn is my favorite time of the year, and that passion always seems to carry over into my writing.  For example, two days ago, I had a eureka moment, and suddenly understood how the rest of my story will unfold. I've always had a bullet list of events that needed to occur before the story ended, but up until my revelation, I didn't know HOW or WHEN they would happen. Now I know the sequence of events that will lead all the way up to the All-is-Lost moment. 

I still have plenty of words to write, but the end of the journey is within sight. Damn, I love this time of year! 

On a side note, I came across this passage the other day and, after a little tweaking, thought it might be appropriate for writers. 

Dear Lord, 
So far today I've done all right. I haven't complained about my book sales or lost my temper because of a review. I haven't been jealous of other writers, turned grumpy on Twitter, acted nasty to my editor, or said bad things about Amazon. I'm really happy about that so far. But in a few minutes I'm going to be getting out of bed and then I'm going to need a lot of help. Thank you.

Enjoy the links and have a great week! 

ChemistKen 



Is It Ever Okay to Lose Money on Advertising?

Writing to the Beat: Translating Story Beats to Any Genre

6 Things I've Learned as a Professional Editor

Five Tips On Making Jargon And Tech Work For Your Writing, Rather Than Against It

Are Your Book’s Ads Earning or Losing You Money?

6 Ways to Make Readers Fall in Love With Your Characters

Tracking Your Banged Buck: Make Sure Your PR Pays Off Books


21 comments:

  1. Awesome! Let's hear it for fall inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the perfect time to work on the IWSG Anthology too!

      Delete
  2. I like the prayer.

    I believe most of my best writing comes in autumn, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially if you're writing the kind of fantasy that works well around Halloween.

      Delete
  3. Awesome that you figured out how your story will unfold. That's huge. I have a sense of mine but not a clear vision of the end. Your prayer made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have a long way to go, but last week all I could see was a jumbled mess. Now I see how everything can fit together.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I knew that passage would be perfect as soon as I saw it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. I need that eureka moment to figure out the end of my Book 3. Luckily, I have a different WIP to fill the time but really? Must it take so long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For us slower writers, I think the answer is yes. It does have to take that long.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the links. I've read that prayer/saying before. Have it filed somewhere. Now need to file this version. I love how you turned that into a prayer saying for writers. Love it. Juneta

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very funny! I love eureka moments. Good luck reaching the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I just wished they'd happen more often for me.

      Delete
  8. Love the passage! :)

    Yay on finding that eureka moment! Love when that clarity gives us a peek!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. Now I have to settle down and do something with it.

      Delete
  9. Okay, clicking on your posts is dangerous. I just spent 15 minutes reading all your links. :) Thanks, Ken!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on figuring out the sequence of events for your book. That's a big step.

    I love that passage. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woot woot on figuring it out! Sounds like you're clicking now!

    Heh, that prayer made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for figuring it out! And I know that feeling every morning. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete