Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Long Uphill Road to Writing Well

As part of my quest to become a (good) fiction writer, I’m reading everything I can lay my hands on. Right now, that means books, articles on the Internet, and blogs. Blogs are a great resource, but there are so many of them I will never have time to read them all. So I’m concentrating on the ones designed to help newbies like me.


I’ve discovered one downside to reading all these blogs. They often leave me depressed. It’s not that there isn’t useful information in these blogs, but I often find myself disheartened at how well everyone else seems to be able to write. The authors probably didn’t even spend much time composing these posts, yet their writing flows so much better than my feeble attempts at writing.

I envy how easily writing comes to these people.

I’ve always had difficulty converting the ideas in my head into words on paper. I stare at the computer screen with my mind full of thoughts and I have difficulty coming up with a way of describing those thoughts without sounding like a high school student writing his first essay.

Not that there’s anything wrong with high school students.

You’d probably be horrified to find out just how long it took for me to get this written, so I won’t tell you. I’m just hoping that with practice, everything becomes easier with time.

We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment